work permit applications

A Work Permit holder will have temporary residence in Canada and will be allowed to work temporarily in Canada. Work permit is issued to an individual who is not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and who wishes to work temporarily in Canada. In case of nationals or residents of many countries, applicant will also have to obtain a temporary resident visa to travel to and work in Canada. You will have to submit an application at the relevant visa office, and will have to satisfy the visa officer that you meet the requirements of a temporary resident visa, such as:

  • Your employer has obtained positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) letter from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC);
  • You will leave Canada at the end of your employment;
  • You have sufficient funds to support your stay in Canada;
  • You are not medically unfit to travel to Canada; and
  • You have no adverse criminal history.

Your spouse and dependent children can also accompany you to Canada. If you are working in Canada on a work permit, and your existing job is extended or changes, you must apply to change conditions of your work permit. We can assist you achieve these tasks in a professional manner. Work permit only allows you to live in Canada temporarily. If you intend to live permanently in Canada and later get Canadian citizenship, you have to apply for permanent residence status either from within Canada while you are working here, or you can return back to your home country and apply for permanent residence. There are different options you can consider. For example, once you have gained work experience in Canada, you may qualify for Canadian permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs offered by different provinces in Canada.

Our immigration lawyer will be happy to provide assistance throughout the LMIA and work permit application.

For business work permits, please go to 'Business' page.  

What is a work permit?

A work permit is a work authorization document. Unlike permanent residence, a work permit will allow you to live in canada temporarily till the date of expiration mentioned on your work permit document. Work permits are either employer-specific or open. If you have a Canadian employer willing to support your work permit application, you may not only be eligible to stay and work in Canada but also obtain permanent residence later.

book a consultation

Book a consultation with us!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Better yet, see us in person!

 We'd love to see you in our Toronto office during normal business hours.

Alternatively, you can get in touch with us through Skype, WhatsApp, IMO or Facebook Messenger.

Nadeem Law Office

303 - 7111 Syntex Dr, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 8C3, Canada

Ph: +1(289) 981-1236 Email: