Permanent Residents

Permanent residents living in Canada, or outside Canada, face different issues relating to immigration laws, such as falling short of residency obligations, criminal convictions, divorce and separation, sponsoring a dependent or relative, applying for citizenship etc. We can provide professional legal assistance through all these matters.

We assist our clients in apply for a new PR card, or renew their expired PR card. In order to renew a PR card, you must be living in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days do not need to be continuous. In some cases, your time spent outside Canada may be counted towards the 730 days, for example if you were accompanying your spouse who is a Canadian citizen. 

Maintaining your permanent residence status is governed by complex legal principles. Expiration of your PR card does not necessarily mean that you have lost your permanent resident status. Moreover, there are circumstances which will affect your permanent resident status, leading to your deportation from Canada, such as a criminal charge or other offence. 


PRTD is a document which authorizes you to return to Canada if you are outside Canada and your PR Card is lost to expired. It is normally only valid for one single entry. 

You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if:

  • you are a permanent resident of Canada,
  • you do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • you are outside Canada; and
  • you will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

In your application, you will need to show that you have met the requirements to remain a permanent resident.

If you plan return to Canada from United States through any of the land border, you do not need a travel document provided your fulfil other conditions of being a permanent resident.

Every single person in your family will have to submit a separate PRTD application.


Once you have physically lived in Canada for at least 1095 days during five years, you are eligible for Canadian citizenship provided you fulfil other legal requirements. For further details, please visit Citizenship page. 

Residency Obligation

In order to renew a PR card, you must be living in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days do not need to be continuous.

A consultation session with our immigration lawyer involves a frank and detailed discussion about your case. At the end of the consultation we expect that you will clearly understand the appropriate pathway forward, potential time frames and costs associated with your application. 

book a consultation

Book a consultation with us!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Better yet, see us in person!

We'd love to see you in our Toronto office during normal business hours.

Alternatively, you can get in touch with us through Skype, WhatsApp, IMO or Facebook Messenger.

Nadeem Law Office

303 - 7111 Syntex Dr, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 8C3, Canada

Ph: +1(289) 981-1236 Email: